A little history about NR6C


My first taste of the hobby came as a Boy Scout and the opportunity to earn a merit badge by learning Morse code.  Later in the 8th grade my science teacher worked a 40 meter group every morning before school and that was fun to set with him and listen to them talk.   The seeds were planted.

Years later the passing of my Novice exam in 1979 was quickly followed by passing the Technician and General Class exam.   Then was the time to buy an HF transceiver and my first choice was the Kenwood TS-820S, the SP-820 speaker, the MC-50 mike and an external 820 VFO and a four element KLM beam.   Then a used Heathkit SB-220 followed and I was off and chasing DX.  In the next six months I moved on to acquire an extra class license and still hold that original call.   The DXCC award followed shortly thereafter.  I have enjoyed teletype, T-Hunting, repeater building and maintaining as well as the UHF and HF bands  

            I started my teaching career in the High School, then moved on to the University where I spent the next 37 years as a University Professor, teaching the subjects of Metalworking and Manufacturing.   In the early years I taught, Welding, Metallurgy, Machining, Foundry, Sheet Metal and General Metalworking.   I also authored a text book called Metalworking, an Introduction.  The last twenty years I focused on automated manufacturing including, 3D Printing or Rapid Prototyping as it is often called, CNC machining, including, milling, lathes, EDM, laser cutters, routers and robots and the integration of those machines.   I designed and implemented two Computer Integrated Machining centers or CIM cells with milling machines, parts handling and robots.   In the early 1980ís we were using CAD and CAM and later solid modeling software as the core of the design and manufacturing processes.   Computer controlled machines were running every day and often during the night to make parts.  Some set ups ran for 30+ hours and that meant they ran all day Friday, Friday night, all day Saturday, Saturday Night etc. and were finished when we came back Monday morning.   Truly unattended manufacturing or what is often referred to as lights out manufacturing at the University.   

            When the need for this project came along I could not resist exercising my talents.  I first began to produce 3D printed parts in 1990.   I had experience in Computer Numerical Control (CNC) programming and could produce 3D models but had no way of making them.  As the technology became available I was printing 3D parts every day and into the night.   I had the wonderful opportunity to travel both nationally and internationally lecturing on this Technology.   Now, toward the end of the circle I have the opportunity to share products with my fellow Amateur Radio Operators. 


Gregory Graham Ed.D.

Professor Emeritus







                                Untitled 1